If a user has a file open that’s on a Windows Server 2008 R2 share, but can’t close it, you can close these files from the server. To close open files from a Windows Server 2008 R2 file share:
- Log onto the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer that is serving the file share
- Start File and Storage Services from the start menu (Administrative Tools)
- Select the share that the user’s file is open from
- Click on Manage Open Files
- Select the open file you wish to close
- Click Close Selected Files
The open file will now be closed and other users will be able to open the file without it reporting read only mode or saying that the file is in use.