Once you’ve added a new hard disk to Windows Server 2012, you’ll notice that it’s not showing up as a new drive in My Computer. To add a new hard drive to Windows Server 2012, do the following:
- Open Server Manager
- Click on File and Storage Services
- Click on Disks
- Right click on the new hard drive that you’ve just added
- Click Bring Online, and click Yes
- Next, right click on the new hard drive and click New Volume
- Go through the wizard to allocate a drive letter to the new hard disk
When the wizard finishes your new hard drive will be showing up in Windows Server 2012. Because it’s a server, you may wish to RAID the disk, if you haven’t already.
If the hard disk you’ve added is a USB drive, then you might just need to change the drive letter to get it to show up in Windows. This is because USB Plug and Play drives automatically get installed and set up with a drive letter that can be the same drive letter as a mapped drive or other device.