Recently I was having trouble installing Hyper-V on a VMware VM, when I stumbled upon a plethora of hidden configuration options available to change settings on VMware VMs.
These hidden settings are applied to a VM via editing the VMX file thusly:
- snapshot.maxSnapshots = Control the maximum number of VMware snapshots
- monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = Run virtual ESXi hosts on top of ESX or ESXi
- replay.allowBTOnly = Allow FT to be enabled on a VM running on a virtual instance of ESXi
- replay.allowBT = Allow FT to be enabled on a VM running on a virtual instance of ESXi
- cpuid.coresPerSocket = Specify the number of cores per physical socket